Friday, 10 September 2010
No7 Research - Dermatologists warn of widespread UVA ignorance as new research highlights dramatic impact of everyday exposure
- Proof that year round daily UVA exposure can significantly accelerate skin ageing even indoors -
- No7 launches the 1st daily moisturisers with unbeatable 5-star rated UVA protection in response to independent research –
Leading dermatologists and photobiologists today warn that widespread lack of understanding of the impact of daily UV exposure particularly UVA on skin ageing means our skin could photo-age more than twice as quickly as it needs to.
This is just one finding from a number of independent research studies, conducted in collaboration with No7, which reveal the ageing acceleration of skin due to the effects of daily UVA exposure in a way never fully realised before. The brand which revolutionised the beauty industry in 2009, with the first published independent double-blind placebo controlled clinical trial of a beauty product, will now revolutionise protection against photo ageing in 2010.
Key research findings1 include:
· Everyday cumulative UVA exposure ages skin even through glass according to the first asymmetry study of its kind, conducted by Professor Philippe Humbert at the University College Hospital, Besancon2. The study measured, for the first time, the impact of cumulative UVA exposure on clinical skin measures such as hydration, barrier function and firmness, as well as visible signs of ageing. Participants showed significantly more clinical signs of facial ageing on one side of their face due to driving or working close to windows over many years.
- Beware of the car window.3 A volunteer was selected from the study who had driven routinely for 33 years. The side of her face closest to the car window was found to look more than 7 years older than the opposite side, as well as demonstrating more signs of ageing through clinical measurements.
- A complementary study, performed by Boots, revealed that even a few hours sitting in a car in April resulted in skin damage linked to ageing. An average increase of 300% in free radical damage linked to UVA was measured on the window side of the face.
- We should be protecting our skin from UVA all year round. Scientific modelling of UVA exposure by Professor Brian Diffey, Emeritus Professor of Photobiology, Dermatological Sciences, University of Newcastle indicates that about two-thirds of people’s annual UVA exposure in the UK occurs during the summer months with about one-third received from September to May.
- Even Autumn exposure has an impact. Research in collaboration with Professor Trevor McMillan and Dr Sarah Allinson at the School of Health and Medicine4, Lancaster University has proved that low dose UVA equivalent to a UK Autumn day causes up to a 50 fold increase in the expression of certain genes involved in photo-ageing.
- The findings are so conclusive the brand will this week launch the first 5-star daily moisturiser with SPF 15 to reduce UV exposure by up to 90%. Analysis suggests that daily use of a high UVA protection in a product could more than halve the rate that skin visibly ages.
Professor John Hawk, an Emeritus Professor of Dermatological Photobiology and UVA expert, very much supports the research findings: “This collection of studies definitely strengthens our understanding of the issue of UVA photoageing. We believe that up to 90% of the visible signs of ageing are due to the sun’s ultraviolet radiation and more than 95% of these are known to be UVA rays.”
“What’s needed is a step-change in awareness of the damaging effects of UVA all year round, not just during summer holiday season. If women were to do one further thing to help prevent the signs of facial ageing then I’d recommend the daily use of products with both SPF15 and 5-star UVA protection.”
According to a No7 survey of UK women*, 83% did not realise that they should be protecting their skin from the UVA rays outside their annual holiday in order to prevent photoageing. Boots is confident the research will raise further awareness of the damaging effects of UVA, as according to the study, many do not even know the difference between UVA and UVB. Whilst 65% of women use, and actively seek out, moisturisers with SPF (predominately a measure of UVB protection), just 14% look for day creams with UVA protection.
There are currently no 5-star UVA rated daily moisturisers on the market in the UK, a fact that the Boots Product Development Team will change significantly over the next year. In order to develop skincare products that would tackle the issues raised by the research, No7 will this week launch No7 Protect & Perfect Intense Day Cream** so consumers will be able to choose a daily product with the best in protection, alongside proven repair benefits.
No7 Protect & Perfect Intense Day Cream is the first SPF 15 day cream which delivers 5-star UVA rated protection combined with the same anti-ageing ingredients from No7’s famous clinically proven No7 Protect & Perfect Intense Beauty Serum.
Set to become another essential beauty buy, the product protects against up to 90% of the UVA and UVB rays that cause skin ageing, with proven No7 anti-ageing actives5. No7 analysis suggests that visible signs of ageing can be delayed by more than 50% by combining daily SPF 15 with 5-star UVA rated protection and the product is also proven to improve the appearance of deep lines and wrinkles in 4 weeks.
Dr Mike Bell, Boots Skincare Scientific Advisor comments: “The industry must broaden its focus beyond SPF. We must educate consumers on the need to protect their skin on a daily basis in the battle against UVA damage. We consider the results of these studies as so significant that the gold standard 5-star rating will be rolled out in all our No7 anti-ageing day creams by summer 2011. It is a major move with a complementary approach to prevention and repair. Up until this point SPF has been the only clear measure of prevention from the harmful effect of the sun in daily face creams. The move to include 5-star UVA protection in No7 Protect & Perfect Intense Day Cream is the next stage of No7’s pioneering campaign to help protect the nation’s skin from the undesired effects of the sun and ageing.”
For More Info on Products Visit - www.boots.com/en/No-7
Yasmin Le Bon. Anna Friel. Annie Lennox. Charlotte Church. Katherine Jenkins.
Q. What do these five beautiful, talented women have in common other than great genes and celebrity status?
A. Celebrity make-up extraordinaire, Phyllis Cohen has worked with each of these extraordinary ladies to create stunning, striking, and sophisticated faces!
Ms Cohen, who was worked with A-listers from the Rolling Stones to Diana Ross, absolutely loves the Glorious Skin range from global award-winning Italian spa brand [ comfort zone ], and in particular the Visible Lifting Tensor Serum, of which she has said: “I think it’s great! I think it would be perfect for celebrities.”
The exceptional lifting skincare serumfor the face and neck is designed to reduce expression lines and wrinkles with an immediate tensor effect, and has been deemed ‘botox in a bottle’. Signs of ageing are reduced to reveal amazingly younger-looking skin.
Used morning and evening for 30 days the Glorious Skin Serum will reduce fine lines and wrinkles by a massive 40% thanks to the magic ingredient lifting-hexapeptide which effectively relaxes the features of the face.
An advanced formula, rich in vitamin E, which is an effective anti-oxidant, hyaluronic acid and wheat proteins with a filling action, is what establishes the Glorious Skin Serum as a unique innovative product.
This instant tensor is ideal as a make-up base and can either be used on concerned areas of the face and neck or applied all over for all skin types. Sarah Brock, Director of Make-Up Artistry at Daniel Sandler has described the Glorious Skin Visible Lifting Tensor Serum by Comfort Zone as : “A non-greasy product which is a fantastic make-up base … My miracle in a bottle!”
Glorious Skin Visible Lifting Tensor Serum is £76.95, 30ml and is available from spas and salons nationwide. Also available in the Glorious Skin range is the Glorious Skin Tensor Mask (£31.95).
For Comfort Zone stockists visit www.comfortzoneskincare.com
Beautycycle’s personalised beauty regime, inspired by the power of the elements, now offers even more product variety: four new products have been added to the range characterised by highly effective ingredients.
The triple potent Fire 3-in-1 Masque-Scrub-Brightener and the revitalising Fire Renewal Serum actively promote the skin’s cell regeneration process. The Air Anti-Ageing Cleansing Milk ensures increased oxygenation of mature skin. The Dramatic Volume Mascara is a welcome addition to the cosmetic collection which now offers lengthening and volumising mascaras.
Beautycycle UK Brand Ambassador: Emma Willis says:
“The new beautycycle products are great, especially for this time of year when skin can be dehydrated and sun damaged. The 3 in 1 scrub makes my skin look amazing. It gets rid of the dull, grey looking skin and reveals healthy looking, bright skin. The serum is good because it gives you a boost of vitamin C which regenerates and revitalises the skin and protects it from further damage. I also use the new illuminating hydro-masque for an instant moisture boost when I need it!”
Fire 3-in-1 Masque-Scrub-Brightener
This triple-action renewal, two-way exfoliating masque contains the elements sugar
cane, orange and lemon extracts to give a deeper exfoliation revealing smoother,
fresher skin. Conditioners and illuminators help to brighten skin and a re-energising
complex of glucosamine, urea and aloe vera works as an anti-inflammatory. Extracts
of algae hydrate and refresh skin. This product can be used both as a cleanser and
exfoliant and will make the skin look clear and radiant. £10.20 (150ml)
Fire Renewal Serum
Fire Renewal Serum jump starts the skin’s renewal process, containing vitamin C and
hyaluronic acid. Vitamin C regenerates and revitalizes the skin. Hyaluronic acid binds
moisture exceptionally well. The complex of glucosamine, urea and aloe vera works as
a soothing and hydrating agent. The skin looks clearer and more even-toned which
makes it appear more youthful and healthy. £15.85 (15ml)
Air Age Repair Cleansing Milk
The Air Age Repair Cleansing Milk is a silky, light, soap-free cleansing milk, which
completes the Air skin care range consisting of Cleanser, Toner, Day and Night Repair
Creams. The key ingredient of this range is natural yogurt probiotic which helps skin
cells to absorb oxygen more easily. Skin looks fresher and wrinkles are visibly
reduced. Lady’s smock another ingredient helps to bind moisture and gives the skin a
silky, non-oily texture. £7.25 (150ml)
Dramatic Volume Mascara
Lashes are smudge-free, clump-free and flake-free when wearing the new Dramatic
Volume Mascara. It is long-lasting, has an easy-off formula and contains wheat
protein and conditioning vitamin B. The thick, full brush helps adds volume to lashes,
whilst still containing a natural look. £10.80 (7g)