Tuesday, 21 December 2010
Winter Sun Protection With Pure & Gentle
Skiing is a great sport which is fantastic for general fitness but all too many people forget the damaging effect Winter sun can have on your skin. When you're up a mountain, at altitude, the sun can be incredibly intense and UV exposure is higher than at ground level so you're soaking up increased levels of radiation. Features such as grass and trees that normally absorb the UV, are covered in snow meaning the UV is literally bouncing straight back at you so it’s imperative that you apply adequate protection to your skin. Online skin treatment specialist Pure and Gentle Skincare has put together some handy tips on caring for your skin on the slopes this Winter.
With 75,000 cases being reported each year Skin cancer is the commonest form of cancer in the UK and with the main risk factor being an increased exposure to ultraviolet radiation this figure is likely to rise. There are three main types of skin cancer, melanoma (the most serious, malignant type), squamous cell carcinoma and basal cell carcinoma. In all three, early detection is essential.
Winter Sun Tips from Pure and Gentle Skincare:
1. Anyone going skiing this winter your choice of sun protections should be as im portant as wearing clothing and using the correct equipment.
2. The ski slopes should be treated just like a beach and sun protection should be applied as liberally, if not more, as if you were stretched out on a sun-lounger.
3. Sun cream for skiing should be the highest factor tolerated, with a minimum SPF of 30. In addition sun cream should be broad spectrum to protect against both UVA & UVB, and should be applied every 2 hours. Sun blocks which contain a higher percentage of titanium dioxide or zinc oxide should be considered as they give excellent, long-lasting protection.
5. Do not forget to protect children – cream should be re-applied to their sk in even more regularly as younger skin is even more sensitive.
6. Finally pay careful attention to eyes - sunglasses or goggles with UV filters will give additional protection to the eyes and eyelids."
Pure and Gentle Skincare has a range of sunscreens for both adults and children, together with SPF moisturisers. Comprehensive information is provided on each product and many of its sunscreens are suitable for people with sensitive or allergic type skin along with those with eczema, psoriasis and acne. Products include Sunsense, Ultrasun, Lavera and The Sun Mousse, with prices ranging between £5 and £25. For further information visit www.pureandgentle.com